Wow, I have been neglectful. I blame Facebook, which is where I go to natter about the inanities of my daily life. But I figured I’d stick my head back in here, and will try to be better about posting. Key word boys and girls? “Try.”
Many, many, MANY of you have written me inquiring about the status of The Final Dance series. It is both heartening and heartbreaking to hear so many readers wanting the rest of it. Here’s what the deal is.
1. The series did not stop in the middle because I got bored! I would love to continue the series, I know what is going to happen, and I haven’t stopped looking for options to get it out there to readers.
2. It is NOT a trilogy. Luna Books decided to call it that, I have repeatedly spoken out online to caution readers that, no, if you get UNDER SEA’S SHADOW, you will not get the series wrapped up for you. You will get what several of those who have read it called the “favorite” book in the series, but while, as with ON FIRE’S WINGS and UNDER SEA’S SHADOW, the story begun in the book is wrapped up in the book, the overarching story of the Dancers continues.
3. Luna will not be publishing any more of the series, nor do they have plans to publish UNDER SEA’S SHADOW as anything but an e-book, but currently they do own the rights. I am attempted to get them returned to me.
4. I cannot simply write the series and post it on my website just for fun. My work is my job (a fun one, but a job nonetheless!). It keeps a roof over my head, food on the table, and my sweetheart in insulin. Books take time, at least three-four months to write, and I need to spend those months working on projects that will pay. However….
5. Once rights revert to me, my agent and I will be looking at other houses to continue the series and perhaps republish the first three books. This is a tricky situation–most houses do not wish to take on projects that other publishers have opted not to continue. One way or another, I do intend to finish the project someday. It will likely not be anytime soon, unfortunately. 😦
In the meantime, I am very happy working with Blizzard and Pocket, and Lucasfilms and Del Rey. I’m booked (Ha! Pun!) through next year so far. I hope you are all enjoying my other endeavors.
Again, thank you so, so much for for supporting my original fiction, even -years- now after the last book was published. Keep the flame burning–and trust me I WILL tell you, shouting from the rooftops, when the next book is coming out!